The period immediately pre-calving is one of the most important times in a breeding cow’s production calendar. Ensuring optimum nutrition in the run up to calving this spring will play a key part in the overall herd management, giving both the cow and calf the best chance of a successful calving and beyond.
The focus of feeding dry cows should be to enable them to be at the correct body condition score at calving. Rations should therefore satisfy the cow’s appetite, provide sufficient trace elements and minerals and manage cows body condition score to ensure targets are reached for calving. Providing the correct mineral balance as calving approaches is very important. A low calcium, high magnesium supplement will encourage the dry cow to start to mobilise calcium from her bones in preparation for lactation and help to prevent milk fever. The feeding of a higher magnesium supplement will also support uterine tone and muscle contractions throughout labour. Successful calving is also dependent on the supply of several other minerals which are often deficient in forages. For example, selenium and vitamin E deficiency, has been linked with an increase in retained cleansings, and copper is key for fertility after calving has taken place. Furthermore, given that mastitis and lameness are some of the costliest diseases on farm, zinc supplementation is important for maintaining udder and hoof health.
OPTI-LIX PRE-CALVER is a dehydrated molassed, high spefication vitamin-mineral lick specially formulated for cows during the dry period.
REDUCE RISK, OPTIMISE HEALTH WITH OPTI-LIX PRE-CALVER:
• Extra high 35% sugars to support feed intakes.
• Low calcium and high magnesium help the cow mobilise calcium to prepare for calving and aid where there is a risk of milk fever.
• Fortified with minerals, vitamins and trace elements to balance forage.
• Excellent levels of vitamin E and selenium help support cow and calf
immunity and calf Vigour.
• Multiple copper sources, including protected copper supports
breeding success after calving.
• Protected zinc aids in the management of mastitis and
• Offer from 6 weeks pre-calving.
• Available in 20kg buckets and 80kg tubs
Contact us for more information.